The shocking images of the January 6th attack on our Capitol may have faded from the news, but make no mistake — our democracy is still under attack.
Republicans are attacking your right to vote. They have introduced over 253 bills across the country in an effort to undermine our elections. Republicans have introduced over 253 bills across the country in an effort to undermine our elections These efforts include stripping away the right to vote by mail, eliminating drop boxes, and other measures aimed at keeping the electorate as small (and Republican) as possible.
This is why we must act together now to get HR 1 — the For The People Act — enacted into law. Here are just some of the reforms included in this critical piece of legislation:
- promotes automatic and online voter registration
- makes election day a federal holiday
- expands early and absentee voting
- prohibits voter purges of eligible voters
- enhances election security by requiring the use of paper ballots
- requires secret money organizations that spend money in elections to disclose their donors
- increases penalties for voter intimidation and false information
- overhauls the Federal Election Commission to enforce campaign finance law
- slows the revolving door between government officials and lobbyists
- requires presidents to publicly disclose their tax returns, and
- overhauls the Office of Government Ethics to ensure stronger enforcement of ethics rules
It’s a big list — and a necessary one.
Here in Illinois, we know from experience how election reforms can bring more people into the voting process. When automatic voter registration was enacted, it meant millions of eligible voters will be able to register in an efficient and easy manner. We need to build on that work here in Illinois, and we need a bill like HR 1 to become law so that the right to vote is protected and promoted from coast to coast.
Congress is debating the bill right now — so I’m asking you to join me in calling on every member of the Illinois delegation to support this bill.
We need the positive impact of these reforms here in Illinois if we’re to build a more representative democracy. So let’s work together to get it done.
Thanks for taking action,