IL Pipe Trades Endorse Giannoulias for Secretary of State
(Chicago, Illinois) – The Illinois Pipe Trades Association (IPTA), which includes 20 locals, endorsed Democrat Alexi Giannoulias for Illinois Secretary of State.
The 26,000-member workforce in Illinois is part of the national United Association (UA) and represents pipefitters, plumbers and sprinkler fitters.
According to the association, the IPTA knows Alexi will champion the causes of working families in Illinois and is a firm believer in collective bargaining. The IPTA has committed to helping the former State Treasurer. secure the Democratic nomination for Secretary of State and win the general election in 2022.
“I’m honored to have received the endorsement of the IPTA and will always fight on behalf of the dignity of working families, justice for workers and for an economy that works for everyone,” Giannoulias said. “I’m committed to making sure the rights of Illinois workers are protected as we recover from the pandemic and that no one gets left behind.”
The endorsement marks the latest by state and local labor groups for Giannoulias, including:
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU) State Council
- United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) International Union – Local 881
and Local 1546
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) – 14 Locals
- Painters District Local Council No. 30
- Plasterers and Cement Mason’s Local 502